April 24, 2016

Butterfly Card with Tim Holtz Distress Glitter (Black Background)

When I created this glitter butterfly, I couldn't decide which background, black or white, looks better with it. So I ended up making both. ;) View this post if you haven't seen the white background one yet! It also includes a step-by-step tutorial on how to make this glitter butterfly shown below. 

DIY A Temporary Foam Stamp and Create the Background 
I wanted to create a diagonal stripe pattern but I don't have any stripe stamps on hand. So I decided to use a trick I learned from Jennifer McGuire. 
1. Cut a thin piece of white fun foam and use a stamp runner to temporarily adhere it to an acrylic block. (I used my mini MISTI here for easier alignment)
2. Ink it up like you normally would with a clear stamp, and stamp the pattern on an A2 white card base. (It's that easy)
 
(Click on the image to enlarge)

3. I'm not sure if it's a result of my new juicy ink pad or the fun foam, but the edges are a little fuzzy. So I used my 0.35 Copic Multiliner to trace the edges. 
4. Mat a piece of black card stock on top of the card base.
  

5. Stamp the sentiment from Simon Says Stamp's Big Scripty Greetings with Versa Mark ink and heat emboss with silver embossing powder.
6. Tie the ends of a long piece of silver thread and make it into three loops. Arrange the loops and place the knot near the center of card so you can hide it under the butterfly's body. Adhere some parts of the loop to the card with mini glue dots. 
  

7. Stick a mini heart button to the butterfly's body, and adhere the butterfly to the card. That'll finish up this card!
I really can't pick a favorite. Which one do you like better? The white background one or the black background one? I would love to hear your comments! :)

Challenges entered: 
  

SSS Butterfly Beauty / SSS Make It Girlie / Happy Little Stampers MM Wings

 

14 comments:

  1. Hi Jessie
    I found your card on SSS challenge. The 3 butterflies projects you made are amazing. I personally prefer the white background cuz the scroll lines, ink splatters and the embellishments not only matched the tone of the butterfly but also gave it great "flying" feeling. And I love how you made these 3 butterflies glittery, especially the coral one in mixed media!!
    ~Nicole

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Nicole~ I'm glad you liked them! And thanks so much for leaving this comment. I just started my blog and I really appreciate it when people give me some feedback and thoughts on my projects. Your comment means a lot to me! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. That gorgeous sparkly butterfly looks amazing on any color background, Jessie! Thank you for playing along with us at Creative With Stamps~Butterfly Challenge :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Helen! I'm very glad to join this amazing challenge. One of my favorite themes, too!

      Delete
  3. Don't you just love those dies? I bought them recently! =)
    Beautiful card!!!
    Thank you for joining us at Creative With Stamps!
    Lilian
    The Leaf Studio

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure you'll have some fun with them ;) I received them only a few weeks ago but I've created so many cards using them already!

      Delete
  4. Black is the new white Jessica ! Great card !

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really love black backgrounds and a pop of color on it - it looks amazing :)
    Thank you for joining us at "Creative with Stamps", Eunice

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the different layers of your butterfly, Jessie! So beautiful! Thank you for joining us at CWS challenge.
    Hugs
    Mary (DT member)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Gorgeous card Jessie, the colours and whole design of this is stunning! :-)

    Congratulations, you have won there $50 voucher on the Simon Says Stamp Monday Challenge
    luv
    Lols x x x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey, Jessie. I love this butterfly. It's so pretty with the glitter. I really like the black as it makes the colors really stand out. Thank you for joining us at Come And Get It challenge. Bunny DT

    Good luck with your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fabulous butterfly card, I love it! Jo CWS/DT

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love how your glittery butterfly looks so different mounted on the black card. The bold sentiment is gorgeous.
    Thanks for sharing with us at Happy Little Stampers and I hope you will join us again soon.
    Hugs
    Carol x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Very dramatic against the black background! Thanks for joining us at Happy Little Stampers.

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.