November 27, 2016

Christmas Alpaca Card ft. Lawn Fawn


EDIT: Winner at CASology / Honorable Mention at ATSM

It's almost December! I can't wait for Christmas to come.  :) Today I'm sharing a card I guest designed for Marker Pop's color challenge. I don't usually make cards with colored card bases, but I decided to use all the colors in the color scheme and I happen to have this mossy green cardstock on hand. 




I originally wanted to use the snow marker I bought recently to create the fur texture, but it didn't puff up the way it should. I'm guessing it's because I have an older heat gun and its temperature setting is too high. So instead of getting a puffy texture I got an overcooked mess. (I've tried heat setting the liquid before and after it dried, and even applying heat from the back of the paper. None of the methods work unfortunately.) 

At this point I've given up using the snow marker. I still wanted to add some fur to my alpaca, and I thought about adding cotton. I don't have cotton balls in my house and I'm kinda reluctant to buy a big pack just for this small project, so I begin to search for substitutes. And yes, my solution is Q-tips!


I pulled off cotton from 1 Q-tip and dabbed some color on with my Copic marker (E33 Sand). I then mixed/transferred the color to other white areas by tearing the cotton ball repetitively. I love how it turned out; the color variation definitely makes the fur look more realistic and natural. Even though this method took a lot longer than just using the snow marker, you could add colors to the critter's fur and you don't have to worry about it being squashed in the mail. 


The Copic colors I've used are:

Scarf: R27, R37
Body: E33
Face: Y21
Blush: R02


I created a mask and applied Vintage Photo distress ink over it to create the ground. Then I drew some white dots as snow and applied 3 snowflake sequins to finish off the card.


I've also created a CAS version as I want the focus to be solely on the alpaca. I hope you have enjoyed looking at my creation, and thanks so much for stopping by!

Challenges Entered:

CASology: Soft / Penny Black: ATG Christmas

ATSM: ATG / MFT Color Challenge #58

7 comments:

  1. Love how your creative mind works...this is absolutely darling! I have never used a cotton swap for card-making. I now look at them in a different light!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my gosh. I love this llama and how you created his fur. Genius!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, wow! Now that is one soft llama! I would have never thought to use a Q-tip! Bravo, just brilliant! I love this on the green card base, too...a very clean layout and so fun! Thanks for joining us at CASology!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the soft fur you managed to finally create for your llama, so inventive.
    Thanks for linking up at ATSM. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jessica, your cotton ball fur is genius!! Such a super design! Thanks for playing along with CASology this week!

    ReplyDelete
  6. these are both so cute and fun! and such a creative way to add textured fur. thank you so much for playing along with us at penny black and more!
    linda

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous and sweet Christmas card.
    Thank you for sharing over at Penny Black and more;-))m

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.