November 18, 2016

DIY Plaid Pattern with Washi Tape

Hi there! Today I'm sharing a card inspired by Virginia's Stripes and Plaid challenge. Virginia is, in my opinion, one of the most talented crafters on blogland and she certainly inspires me to challenge myself when I'm crafting. So this time, instead of creating a stripe/plaid background using stamps, I decided to go with washi tape. 

I picked some vibrant, neon colored washi tape and arranged them diagonally. 


Then I embossed the entire panel with a diamond pattern embossing folder. I decided to use the heart die from Memory Box to create a window for my sentiment. After stamping the sentiment from Simon Says Stamp's Big Scripty Greetings set, I felt like it needed some sort of border to help draw one's attention to the focal point. I didn't have a heart outline stamp, so I came up with the idea of tracing the inside of my die with a black gel pen. I gotta say, the thickness of the lines and dimensional look is just perfect!


I then lift up the die, which revealed an awkward, large gap of white space. To be honest, I panicked a little because I'm not sure if I can hand-trace along the lines to make the outlines even thicker. (gel pens are hard to control; if you exert too much pressure it's going to ooze out a lot of ink. And a blob of blackness is a big no-no) Thankfully I had an a-ha moment and decided to add stitched lines outside the borders. 


I've also written some words below the stamped sentiment to tie it to the colorful background. I like to customize my sentiments a lot of times to make them fit the card themes better. To finish off the card, I colored this little bird from Lawn Fawn's Snow Day set and adhered him to the upper right corner of the heart.


I hope you have enjoyed my creation, and are inspired to use your washi tape in different ways. Thanks so much for stopping by!

Challenges Entered:

Virginia's View #25: Stripes and Plaid / Memory Box: Giving Thanks / STAMPlorations: Giving Thanks

Creative with Stamps: Use a Bird Stamp / SSS Work it Wednesday: Use SSS Product

4 comments:

  1. Wow...I am so blown away... your Washi plaid is GORGEOUS!! So glad that you join the fun over Virginia’s View “Stripes & Plaid” Challenge! WONDERFUL! PS: thanks so much for the kind and encouraging words, Jessica! xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow,Jesse, your plaid is fabulous! It looks like a lot of time went into this beauty~but so worth the effort. Love the little birdie too ;-)
    Thanks so much for playing along this month at Creative With Stamps.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea to use the die for your outlines :)
    The background looks also wonderful!
    Thanks for sharing your card at "Creative with Stamps",
    Eunice

    ReplyDelete
  4. Really, really beautiful. Thank you so much for participating in the Memory Box November challenge!

    ReplyDelete

Powered by Blogger.